Monday, March 26, 2018

Curly Hair Inspiration


Last night I was scrolling through Instagram when I bumped into a gorgeous picture of Emmy Rossum sporting her naturally curly hair. I stopped scrolling and stared at the beautiful picture for a couple minutes and thought, "you know what? Curly hair is beautiful. Maybe I should start wearing mine naturally more often..."



It's not that I don't think curly hair isn't pretty, because I do...it's just that I don't think it looks pretty on me. Big difference. But why?? I've never loved it. I always wanted straight hair because mine was so thick and unruly, it never looked "done". It always looked like I just rolled out of bed, while all the other girls' hair looks glossy, straight, perfect, with no frizz. From an early age, perhaps reinforced by the media and representations of "beautiful put-together women, I always disliked my naturally curly hair. 


For instance:  


"Samira Ahmed, senior news presenter, who has been working at Channel 4 News in the UK for the past 11 years. Earlier this week, Ahmed announced her departure from the media company after being told that her hair was too "scruffy" for TV" Her decision to leave comes after claims that she was repeatedly told by executives that Channel 4 chiefs did not like her hair."  [Here]

I'm sure you can relate to this, if you have curly hair. "No doubt we have all heard it before ourselves: “Your hair looks so pretty straight,” “Why don’t you straighten more often,” or even, “Your curly hair is ugly!”. It can be tough out there when you're hair doesn't look like the blown-out goddesses. 


So here's a list of all the beautiful curly haired celebrities that make me want to LOVE wearing my hair naturally curly.


Celebrities with Naturally Curly Hair That Make me Want to Love my Own



1. Emmy Rossum


Of course my #1 has to be the Gal that inspired this list and made me want to love (and wear!) my hair naturally curly!! I just love her, she's a gem! Brains and beauty! 



2. Kate Hudson

Penny Lane...how can you not love her?! Her hair is a direct representation of her lively and free-spirit personality. 



3. Julia Roberts

Goddess Supreme, Julia Roberts was one of the first women that made curly hair "cool". Of course, it was ALWAYS cool, but you know what I mean.





4. Lorde

I cannot even put into words how much I love her and her hair. She is perfection.




5. Beyonce

I'd be remiss if I didn't include Beyonce on a 'hair list inspo' list. Her hair is GORGEOUS.




6. Sara Jessica Parker

I could not forget about Carrie Bradshaw; her curls are just as iconic as the white tutu/pink tank combo, her "Carrie" necklace, and Manolo Blahnik. 



7. Mila Kunis

This Ukranian beauty's curly tresses first graced our TV screens on That 70's Show, and she continues to inspire me with her natural curls. 



8. Alicia Keys

GORGEOUS. Natural. And the super talented singer/pianist started a bare face campaign that is so inspiring! Natural IS beautiful!



9. Nicole Kidman

Nicole's red curls were one of the highlights of 90's fashion, because they were unique and carefree. This updo has me seriously rethinking my next "going-out" style. 



10. Shakira

There's nothing cooler than Shakira and her volumized, beautiful blond curls!! 



11. Debra Messing

Oh, Grace. I have ALWAYS been a fan of her hair!! She'd always beautiful, but when she let's her (natural) hair down, it's some of the best curl-action in the biz. 



12. Tatiana Maslany

Perhaps my favorite new comer, the outstanding and crazy-talented actress from Orphan Black ((who plays 14 different clone characters on the series)) rocks her natural curls all the time! She IS curly hair inspo!

So, for all the curly-haired gals out there, let's let down our curls and enjoy the beautiful bounce we were born with!! 


1 comment:

  1. How did Kerri Russel not make this list!?

    ReplyDelete