Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Makeup Madness: Flawless Face


I don't know about you, but what gives me the most anxiety is my complexion, which probably in turn creates more pimples. I think it's because a lot of it is completely out of our control. Hormones are a B!, let's just get that out in the open right now. I won't go off on being a girl because I've done that before (here). But breakouts are the absolute worst. I think we can all agree. It's hard out there for a girl! Sure, celebrities never seem to have the same problems as us, but then again, they can spend hundreds of dollars on face creams and makeup artists to fix the problem. For us normal gals, we aren't that lucky. I mean, who do you think of when someone says "flawless complexion" or "perfect glowing skin"? I think of the women like Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Alba, and Charlize Theron. It seems like they NEVER have a bad skin day!


What many women (and most men!) don't realize is that it takes A LOT of makeup to look "natural". As many as 7 products (or more!) are used on Jen and Jess and Ms. Theron to make them look that great being "natural". Not that they aren't natural beauties, because that's an indisputable fact. "Real natural" is just not what we think of when we think of looking natural, you know what I mean? In any case, we're all in search of a flawless, glowing complexion that makes us feel like movies stars. And with the right makeup, you could get it!

Face/Complexion Essentials   


Face Wash: Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, $9

Starting off on the right foot for a good complexion requires a good face wash. For normal to oily skin, this Daily Facial Cleanser cannot be beat. For dry or sensitive skin, go for their Gentle Cleanser. It's no wonder that this staple is sworn over by celebrities like Diane Kruger. It's gentle yet effective. Say hello to clear skin! 



Moisturizer: Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture Combination Skin, $9

I love this moisturizer because it's light and leaves no oily residue. My skin feels sufficiently hydrated without feeling like it's being caked on, and it has SPF, which is great!





Face Brightening Primer: Benefit That Gal, $29

I love this primer. It really does boost your complexion and give you a nice natural glow. I know it can be expensive to try, but Ulta sells a travel size package of this accompanied by another favorite primer of mine, The Porefessional, for $12! SUPER GOOD BUY! Especially if you're just trying it out! I use this on my cheeks and under my eyes for a healthy-looking boost.






Pore Minimizing Primer: Benefit The Porefessional $31 

Yes, it's kind of expensive, but as mentioned above, Ulta sells a travel size combo w/ That Gal for $12. And honestly, I only use a pea size amount on my nose and forehead and chin (where I have large pores) so it lasts FOR-EV-ER. And honestly, this is something I am SO self conscious about and it really does minimize the appearance of pores, leaving my skin looking smooth and even. The idea is that the primer fills in the gaps on your skin and your foundation/powder goes over the top of that. Let me tell you, I'm addicted to it. I use it EVERY day!




Foundation: Bare Minerals Pressed Powder, $29  

This is an oldie but goodie. I liked the pressed powder versus the loose powder just because I'm always on the go between work and school and this is definitely more convenient. [Note: they are not the same shades as the loose powder. I spoke with a Bare girl a couple weeks ago and she said they're trying to fix the problem, but they're not 100% the same yet. So if you switch to pressed powder, make sure to have it matched to your skin first! I'm definitely  different shades!] I have been using this for almost 10 years now and I don't think I will ever change. It has an almost "air brushed" quality, but it's actually good for your skin and includes some SPF coverage as well. If you have dry skin, you definitely need a primer underneath or your skin can look flakey. 


Blush: MAC in Cubic or Melba,  $21

I know everyone is about NARS blush, and believe me, I love it too. I used to use it exclusively. But what I love about MAC blushes more is that there is no glitter or shimmer. It's a beautiful natural flush that's buildable and super blendable. Cubic is my go-to, it's a little bit more rose-tinted and Melba is more on the peachier side. Both are fab and I'm thinking about switching to Melba once summer hits! These last at least a year, so think of the investment in regards to the days you use them! If you used your blush 6 days a week for a year (and it only lasted a year) that would only be about 7 cents a day to have a beautiful flush! Not bad, eh! 




Cream Blush: Stila Convertible Color in Gerbera, $25 

If cream blush is your thing, look no further. Stila's Convertible Color blends with perfection and can be doubled as EYE SHADOW AND LIP COLOR! Talk about a triple threat!! :) NARS makes a good one too; all of their blush shades come in "The Multiple" cream-base stick, but they're a lot more expensive than this handy compact!  
Bronzer: NARS in Laguna, $38

 I do LOVE NARS' bronzer, it really is the best one out there. Laguna is ideal for the lightest of skin shades to a darker medium, because it's completely buildable. There are flecks of gold shimmer in the bronzer that bring a nice warm glow to your complexion and make you feel like you just got back from a Hawaiian vacation. But it's completely natural looking!  



Finishing Powder: MAC Prep & Prime Transparent Finishing Powder, $25

I know people don't believe in these translucent powders. But let me tell you from the experience of someone who has an oily T-zone...it is a miracle worker!! At lunch and after work as I'm heading to school, I dust a good amount of this transparent powder along my nose, forehead and chin with a kabuki brush and my face is instantly matte without a trace of shine. I'm still on my first compact and I've had it for 2 years! Plus, they now make this in pressed powder so it's awesomely convenient! You can also use this to set your LIPSTICK! Hello party people! It's multi-talented, like us! ;)  Which really counts for something! 

Remember...

Makeup gives us the chance to be whatever version of ourselves we want to be that day. It doesn't make us fake, it makes us multifaceted; it can make us feel stronger, more empowered, more feminine, more whatever it is that we want! We all weren't born with Jennifer Aniston's glowing complexion, but we sure can have it if we want to! What's more powerful than taking what we want? As always, you're gorgeous because of who you are, not what you look like. And if having the complexion or the eyes or the lips that you want makes you love yourself more and feel more confident, then have at it girlfriend! You deserve it! :)

1 comment:

  1. Who exactly wrote this quote about "natural look takes tons of makeup"-Calvin Klein?
    k...g

    ReplyDelete