Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Lessons I've Learned from the Queens of Comedy; Tina Fey Edition



Tina Fey. What is there to say about Tina that hasn't already been said before? Probably not a whole heck of a lot, so you'll just have to bear with me. She's intelligent, beautiful, genuine, sassy, strong, independent and oh yeah, hilarious. She's a writer, producer, actor, Mom, yogurt-facial extraordinaire and probably everything else under the sun. I think she can probably do anything she wants. A self-proclaimed "super nerd", she's given us gems like Mean Girls and 30 Rock (Liz Lemon people! LIZ. LEMON.) and some of the funniest skits on SNL. 

Tina's like the founding member of the "Nerds Are Cool Too" club, and for that, I'd pay to thank her personally. [I kind of want that club to actually exist now!] Her book "Bossypants" is a New York Times 'Best Seller', obviously. Because it's smart and witty and funny and written by Tina Fey. She's one of the coolest cats around, and if I ever meet her, the first question I'll probably ask is if "night cheese" is really something she engages in. I hope she says yes. Wait, maybe I don't want to know the real answer to that. 


1. Fake it till you make it. If you act like you're the shiz, people won't think twice about it. Own it. Own yourself and your life and never look back. People are too insecure to question someone who looks like they know what they're doing.


2. Don't stop, beeeelievin'. Hold onto that feeeeleyaaaan! Just kidding. Just Don't stop. Whatever you're working towards, just keep doing it, despite all the crap that gets lodged into your way. You'll make it. And even if you fail, just make like Aaliyah and try, try again. (Too many random musical references in that one? Sorry.) It'll happen, just don't give up. Ever.


3. Amen sister, Amen! 


4. I love this so much. I've spent most of my life being terrified of failure. I have to be the best. I have to perform at 100% all day, everyday. I can't make any mistakes. Sure, it can push you to do extraordinary things, like getting an 99% on my brain anatomy exam, but it can also cause insanity, ulcers, and hair loss, so there's that. I've learned to dial it down...a notch. (I'm just not cut out for a completely carefree attitude!) It's a work in progress...


5. 'Haters gonna hate'. While the grammatically incorrect phrase makes my ears want to bleed, the sentiment is great; there will always be people that sucker-punch you and then kick you while you're down. But those bullies only have power if you let them. Ignore them and knock 'em out with your awesomeness. THEN, when you're above them, kick 'em to the curb! (Or the stomach...just kidding...kind of.)

6. We have to STOP caring so much what other people think of us, of how we look or what we say or our life choices. We've got to just do our best to be happy and forget everyone else. Wear makeup if you like the way you look or how you feel wearing it, or don't it you feel better au natural. Wear your hair curly if you like it or stop dying it blond just to fit in. Whatever it is, just do it because YOU want to! I think happiness is the most beautiful thing, and everything else is just filler.


7. No more being afraid! Some of the best things aren't and can't be calculated! I know for the last 10 years or so, I've been extremely guarded and closed off, afraid of the risks of getting hurt again or failing or breaking. But no more! I'm learning to jump off those cliffs and enjoy the free fall! Say "yes to love, yes to life, and yes to staying in more!" 

8. Being perfect is overrated. Being real, well that's something to strive for. Just be yourself. Don't do things just because other people are. Originality and sincerity go a long ways.



9. Appreciate what you've got. EVERYONE has things about themselves they don't like. And that's okay. But those things DO NOT define you. YOU define you. And when you feel down and you're laying on the floor in the corner of your room in fetal position, remember those things that you love about yourself and repeat them over and over until the demons go away. Also, be able to laugh at yourself. Life isn't so serious. Everything feels better after a good laugh. 


10. I love this. It's a lot like what I've already said, but I couldn't help myself. Embrace your fear, take a leap, and as Tina says "figure it out later". You can't spend your life calculating all the risks or you'll never live it. Remember Along came Polly? (I'm just full of random references today!) 
11. Forgive the curse word, but this is one of my favorites! Because you know what? We do. I feel like this quotes belongs in a Spice Girls song or maybe a Sylvia Plath poem. ;) No, but really, be strong, be independent, be adventurous and motivated and hard working and awesome. Be you. Empower yourself, you're the only one that can! 


No comments:

Post a Comment