Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy FRIENDSgiving!!

[UPDATED: 11/25/2015]




Thanksgiving and FRIENDS go together like unicorns and rainbows, Jack and Sally, me and chocolate! Seriously though, no other show does (or has ever done) Thanksgiving like them! Holiday shows seem to be worth their weight in gold, but some do it better than others. Other than the Simpsons firmly cementing themselves as the King of Halloween, no other show as a hold on a specific holiday like FRIENDS and their Thanksgiving episodes. All ten seasons have one, and they tend to produce some of the most memorable moments of the series. 



I have a tradition every Thanksgiving where I re-watch all the FRIENDS Thanksgiving episodes the week/morning of Thanksgiving. (And actually, I do this for Christmas too, but we're not there yet!) I feel like it wouldn't be the "holidays" without my FRIENDS. ;)  They always made me wish for a "FRIENDSgiving", a separate holiday where your besties gather and do Thanksgiving together. I never wanted to give up my family Thanksgiving because I LOVE that tradition too, but I was always jealous of the idea of having a "Friendsgiving". So, I guess in my own way, I kinda do, as I revisit each of the episodes and reminisce. But still, I am SO JEALOUS, for so many reasons and they really know how to do Thanksgiving right! Looking back, I can't say that I have a favorite because that would be like picking a favorite child! But I can choose favorite moments, and I decided this year to share them!

THE BEST 'FRIENDS' THANKSGIVING EPISODE MOMENTS:


1. Season 3"The One with the Football"


The FRIENDS football game. WHO DIDN'T WANT TO DO THIS AFTER THEY WATCHED IT!? I dreamed of having my own Thanksgiving day football (or soccer or basketball...really any sport would do) game with family or friends. How fun would that be!!


The answer to that question is this picture. SO MUCH FUN. Especially if you get this:


"The Geller Cup"


 2. Season 5- "The One With All the Thanksgivings"




This is one of the best 'Thanksgiving' moments, ever. After Joey gets the turkey stuck on his head, Monica then puts it on (along with a cap and glasses) to cheer Chandler up, and he inadvertently tells her he loves her, while she's dancing with a turkey on her head.


But the BEST moment of the episode is when Joey walks in and Monica turns around and scares him half to death. SO FUNNY.


It's is probably one of the funniest moments of the series! I still die laughing!! Look at that face! It's priceless!!



3. Season 9- “The One with Rachel’s Other Sister”

This is one of the greatest cat fights ever. I mean, Jennifer Aniston vs. Christina Applegate? It's hysterical.  Christina Applegate also won an Emmy for her guest star in this episode! But Poor Monica and her wedding china!! 






Poor Monica's wedding china... 

4. Season 6- "The One Where Ross Got High"


I'm like Rachel where I always try baking something new for big events. I don't know why I do it...EVERY time...I just do. But then, of course, you can't try the finished product until everyone is eating it and the whole time you're waiting for that moment, your stomach's in knots because you're worried it's going to "taste like feet". Maybe this episode is WHY I'm so terrified of messing it up...

It's trifle time...



In this moment, when everybody knows it tastes horrible and they're watching someone else try it...oh man... it haunts me. I'm desperately afraid of this situation playing out in my real life. I mean, I'd know never to put beef in a trifle, but still, something equally bad could happen!

And also...the Lightening Confession Round...One of the BEST moments of the WHOLE SERIES:




5. Season 5- This is technically a "day after Thanksgiving Episode", but it's absolutely vital to the collection.

We'll just call it The One with the Moist Maker. Every year Monica makes Ross a Thanksgiving sandwich made out of the leftovers. But it's not like your normal turkey sandwich, it has a special layer of gravy soaked bread in the middle, which Ross names the "Moist Maker". Every year he looks forward to his sandwich but this year someone eats it out of the fridge at work and he practically loses his mind and flips out on his boss for eating it (and throwing the rest of it away). It's one of the most hilarious "Ross moments" of the entire show!




Or you can watch it here:





6. Season 4- "The One With Chandler in a Box"


In this episode, Chandler and Joey are fighting because Chandler kissed Joey's girlfriend. To pay the price for his actions, Joey tells Chandler the only way he will forgive him is if he serves a sentence in the box. And like Chandler explains, his reasons are very simple and logical; "The meaning of the box is threefold. One, it gives me the time to think about what I did. Two, it proves how much I care about my friendship with Joey. And three... it hurts!" In other parts pf the story, Monica is chipping pieces of ice out of the freezer and one flies into her eye and cuts it. She goes to her eye doctor (her ex-boyfriend who's like twice her age) but thanksfully he's out of the office so she sees the other doctor...who happens to be the handsome son (Michael Vaughn) of said ex-boyfriend and they kiss. Naturally, she takes a lot of flack from the friends when she gets home, but in a moment of pure comical beauty, schools them all.



Watch it here:




7. Season 1- "The One Where Underdog gets Away"


It's the FRIENDS first Thanksgiving together and it's technically a disaster, but that's what we love about them. When the Underdog balloon in the Macy's parade escapes, the FRIENDS run out to the roof to see it and end up getting locked out while the dinner keeps cooking inside. 




By the time they find the right key (out of Joey & Chandlers drawer full of them!) all the food is burnt and overcooked. Naturally, arguments ensue and eventually they realize how lucky they are to have each other. But I do love the moment when Monica and Rachel fight about the way Monica said the word "keys"... it sounds like an argument I may have had with my sisters a time or two... It's so funny!





8. Season 10- “The One with the Late Thanksgiving”

This one has a special place in my heart, not only because it's the last FRIENDS Thanksgiving (tear!) but because it's when Monica and Chandler find out they're going to be able to adopt a baby!



But, least you worry that it's full of only tear jerking moment that make you want to curl in a ball with a pint of B&J's (No? Just me then?), there are still "classic FRIENDS moments", like when Joey get's his head stuck in between the door and the chain lock.

Rachel: “It’s Thanksgiving and we should not want to be together, together!” Not to mention Joey's "weird-eye-contact-thing" and the "floating heads" moment. Genius!




Or the Rock/Paper/Scissors...and Fire...and Water Balloon moment. Why didn't I think of that sooner!? Typical Friends. :)



And this scene with Ross's shirt.




9. Season 8- “The One with the Rumor”

This episode was is pretty great, though ever since the whole "Team Aniston"/"Team Jolie" incident, I haven't been able to love Brad Pitt the same way. That might sound ridiculous and crazy, but seriously, you mess with one of America's sweethearts, you mess with us all!  Though at the time they were still together and this episode is pretty great. We find out the Ross and his high school friend Will (Brad Pitt) made an "I Hate Rachel Green club" where they were the only members...except for a foreign exchange student who didn't speak English. Will's line, "My two greatest enemies, Ross: Rachel Green and complex carbohydrates” and when he's mouthing "I.HATE.YOU" is hysterical.




AND Brad Pitts..ahem, I mean Will's impression of Rachel, complete with the shoulder hair flick is spot on and side-splitting!




 Oh and this...


I love Joey. In this episode, he borrows a pair of Phoebe's maternity pants so that he can finish the whole turkey like he promised Monica he'd do. And actually...wearing maternity pants is kind of a really good idea...just saying.

10. Season 7- “The One Where Chandler Doesn’t Like Dogs”

Something I always think about is Chandler's "dumb states game" and how Ross (I mean, ROSS!) couldn't even finish the list. Turns out, it's not as easy as you think it is! Especially over on the East Coast when the states are so small and clumped together...seriously, who can remember all of those!  My friends and I tried it one year and I honestly couldn't believe I didn't finish! Go on, try it! Just don't bet thanksgiving dinner one it!





And the part where Chandler's secret comes out... [watch below] 






Well, here's to all of you. And to a small lovely dinner with your best friends, great food and comical disasters... doesn't that sound amazing?! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment