Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Lessons I Learned from F*R*I*E*N*D*S


FRIENDS is the best show of all time. Not only is it hysterical (with some of the best writing for a TV show, EVER) but the characters are real, it's fun and  has a lot of heart. I grew up watching FRIENDS. Through the years I grew to know them and I always felt like the long lost 7th "friend"...I mean, if there was one. I remember the series finale vividly- I cried. And not like a single glistening tear, I'm talking full on emotional bawling. But come on! It was the end of an era! Needless to say, I have a very special place in my heart for the gang, and over the years they've taught me a lot about love and life, and friendship. As an homage to my favorite show, here are some lessons I learned from our favorite FRIENDS.

1. Always check the dimensions of your stairwell and door before buying new furniture.
This is one of my all-time favorite episodes, and that' saying something. I laugh every single time I see this scene. In fact, any time I'm carrying something large into the house, Ross yelling "PIVOT!" is all I can hear in my head.

2. If you're going to use awful quotation fingers, make sure you use them "correctly".
Everyone loves Joey. You know he means well, but his executions always fall a bit short. I love this whole dialogue when he's trying to get the use of air quotes right, including apologizing to Chandler by saying "I'm Sorry". If this was anyone else but him, it would be absolutely terrible. But you just can't help but love him. Be sure that if you decide to use the atrocious air quotes, that you're using them correctly.

3. If you're going to get a spray tan, make sure you know EXACTLY how long to count and which sides the spray will be coming from...

 Ross: I went to that tanning place your wife suggested.
Chandler: Was that place the sun?

If you remember correctly, Ross accidentally counts using "Mississipilys" and then turns around to get his back, thinking the spray will be coming from the front, but then it comes from the back, spraying the tanner on the same side both times. This episode gave me serious anxiety about getting a spray tan...which I still haven't gotten over. I almost did it this summer instead of regular tanning, but ultimately, I couldn't get over the fear of looking like Ross.

4. It's okay to laugh at your own jokes...I mean, come on, you're funny!!
Chandler: [talking to the door] I'm funny, right? What do you know, you're a door. You only like knock-knock jokes.
Candler taught me that it's okay to laugh at yourself, not just when you do things that are embarrassing or silly, but to actually laugh at your own jokes. I mean, if you're funny, you're funny, right!?

5. When in doubt, just ask yourself what a Dinosaur would do!
Well, is it!?!? WWDD- What Would Dino Do?


6. Electric tools are terrifying!
Enough said!

7. Friends should always be honest with each other.

The episodes when there are rifts between the Friends are the hardest episodes to watch, including this one. But it's a valuable lesson: friends don't lie to their friends!

8. UNAGI. Its important to always be aware of any danger...

9. The point is MOO.

Joey: Rach, the question is does he like you? Because if he doesn't like you, this is all a moo point.
Rachel: A 'moo' point?
Joey: You know, like a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter. It's moo.
Rachel: Have I been living with him too long, or did all that just make sense?

But honestly, doesn't that actually make sense?? That's how I used to remember the meaning of the word "moot" as a young'in.

10. Sharing a bar of soap isn't a clean as you think it is.

Seriously, ever since I saw this episode for the first time, I cant help but think about it when I see a bar of soap in a shower. I refuse to share soap anymore. Thank goodness body wash was invented!

So here's to you, FRIENDS. Thanks for the ten glorious years of good times and laughter. There will never be anything else like you!

No comments:

Post a Comment