Thursday, July 24, 2014

BEST Names in Literature: Or How I Spent 4 Days Trying to Name my Dog


Yes, Brown Eyed Girl has her very own Brown Eyed Pup and yes, he's adorable and perfect! Frankie James. I guess it's true what they say, women who don't have babies have dogs (or cats). And he really does fill a void in my heart, in the best possible way

In preparation of Frankie's arrival, I spent 4 days straight just trying to pick out the perfect name. It's very important, you know, because a name says a lot about a pup. You wouldn't want them living up to a troublemakers name or even feeling pressured to be perfect by a moniker like Gatsby. These things are very important and so much consideration was taken before the appropriate name was selected and given. 
*Frankie James*
I know where you think this post is going and don't worry, it's not a "birth announcement" like it might seem because well, he's not a new born or... a human. This actually focuses on those 4 days I spent coming up with the perfect name. You see, I wanted something taken from my favorite works of literature that would be sure to give him the confidence I see in his potential. 

Yes, I know I actually ended up naming him after my favorite (and legendary) soccer player from England (even though he's a German dog) but you know, I did the work anyway and came up with a list of the greatest names in literature. I don't really think they need any explanations- they're either memorable by their effect on culture, because of their effortless coolness/villainous or even simply because of their uniqueness. 

Here are my top 20 character names in literature, and believe me, it was difficult to narrow down!  

1. Fitzwilliam Darcy/Elizabeth Bennett, Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
2. Bond. James Bond. Series by Ian Fleming
3. Ichabod Crane, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
4. Atticus Finch/Boo Radley/Scout/Jem, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
5. Jay Gatsby, The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
6. Sherlock Holmes/Dr. Watson, series by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 
7. Monroe Starr, Last Tycoon by F Scott Fitzgerald
8. Alice/The Mad Hatter, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
9. Count Dracula, Dracula by Bram Stoker
10. Victor Frankenstein, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 
11. Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn, Adventures of... by Mark Twain
12. Milo Minderbender, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
13. Scarlet O'Hara/Rhett Butler, Gone with the Wind by Margarett Mitchell
14. (who is) John Galt, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
15. Katniss Everdeen/Effie Trinket (and ALL the rest of the characters), Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
16. Severus Snape/Luna Lovegood/Bellatrix Lestrange, Harry Potter Series, JK Rowling
17. Holly Golightly, Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
18. Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
19. Hester Prynne, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 
20. Jane Eyre, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment