Tuesday, July 22, 2014
*Rules to Live By*
In my child psychology class we were asked to think about what advice we'd give our children (or maybe ourselves if we could!) in their teen years. My professor had us write a list of things we'd want them to know, things we wish we had known or learned the hard way. It was actually a really good project because it helped me re-evaluate my life and how I was living it. If I had a daughter in high school right now, I'd be having to say "do as I say and not as a do" an awful lot!
It's like Lewis Carroll wrote in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" when he says "She generally gave herself very good advice, though she very seldom followed it." I don't know about you, but I'm just like Alice, all the time. Do you ever think about the advice or reassurings you give your best friends, sisters or nieces? We are so loving and encouraging and forgiving with other people, but when it comes to us, we go all Regina-George-with-a-burn-book! And we KNOW better, we know what we should do and we should love ourselves and not be as critical, but for most of us, that's hard!
Making this list for my future daughter or my nieces really reminded me of things I needed to hear and ways I can be better in my own life.
*Rules to Live By*:
1. Love yourself, every part of you, and don't let anyone make you feel otherwise. And fall in love with as many things as possible.
2. Be a dreamer. Never let anyone tell you that you can't.
3. Never begin sentences with "No offense but..." Just because you say "no offense" before you say something nasty, does not make it okay. It's not a free pass to be rude.
4. Be honest and kind.
5. Don't panic. Stop. Breathe. Think.
6. Don't waste your time worrying that other people are thinking about you. They're thinking about themselves, just like you are.
7. Never change your haircut/color or get a facial before a big event.
8. Do unto others as you would have them do unto to you. I.E. Thou shalt not kill...or you know, flirt with your BFF's boyfriend.
9. It is better to buy one expensive thing that you LOVE rather than a couple cheaper things you only like.
10. When you get upset, ask yourself, "does it really matter?" Be honest. If the answer is no, move past it.
11. The key to success lies in how you pick yourself up from failure. Everyone fails, don't beat yourself up over it. Get back up, dust off the dirt and do it again. When it's something you love, NEVER give up!
12. Only buy clothes that make you feel like doing a happy dance. Seriously, if you only 'sort of' like it in the dressing room, you'll hate it by the time you get home.
13. Always stand up for yourself, your beliefs, and people that can't stand up for themselves.
14. Look on the bright side of things; there's always a silver lining. And if you can't find the bright side, look at the funny side.
15. Life is not fair. Get over it.
16. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Sometimes, its merely about survival. Keep your head up, "just keep swimming".
17. Laugh at yourself. It's okay!
18. Don't have regrets. The only thing you can change is the present, so learn from the past.
19. If you start regretting something and you find yourself thinking "I should've done...", always add "but then I might've been mauled by a cougar or hit by a giant blimp. You never know what could have been down that alternative road.
20. Tough times don't last, tough people do.
21. Shoes are always worth the cost.
22. And you can never have too many!
23. Travel as far and as often as you can.The world is a beautiful place and pictures don't do it justice.
24. Always accessorize with a smile. :)
25. Most people deserve 2nd chances. But don't be afraid to cut off the people that don't!
26. Always give 100% of yourself.
27. Never eat noodles on a first date. Ever.
28. Trust yourself and your instincts.
29. Appreciate the small things in life. If you want to eat that amazing looking cupcake, then eat it! Life is short!
30. Shoes are statement pieces. They are actually art that you wear on your feet. No one intends them to be comfortable. Strap 'em on and shine that megawatt smile babe!
31. Never get upset over getting lost, it's not worth it. Plus, some places you'd never find if you only read the map.
32. Stay away from birds, spiders, snakes, clowns, music boxes, old rocking horses, attics, basements, dark woods, haunted houses, tilt-a-whirls, and creepy motels.
33. It's okay to play hooky every once in a while...that's why they're called "mental health" days.
34. Take time to be still and silent. Meditation really is all it's cracked up to be.
35. Always listen to your music loud and sing the words even louder. How else do you enjoy it??
36. Live and learn. What fun is perfection anyways?
37. Winter days are made for staying in your PJ's, snuggling up in a warm fuzzy blanket by the fire, drinking hot coco and watching a movie.
38. You ARE worth it. If it's important to you, then that's all the matters.
39. Brush and floss your teeth!
40. Read as often as you can; books take us to amazing places when we're stuck in just one.
41. Wear nail polish that makes you happy. (Pink is a proven mood booster for when you need an extra pick-me-up!)
42. I don't care what they tell you, there's always a good reason for a new purse!
43. Let your guard down- life is for living, not always playing it safe.
44. Open up to people and listen when they open up to you.
45. Get rid of all the people in your life that make you feel like crap. They aren't worth your tears and the people that are would never make you cry.
46. Dance in the rain- God's giving you a gift, so enjoy it!
47. Always be there for your friends, no matter what. Be the friend that's always on their side.
48. Never walk by a perfectly crunchy leaf without stomping on it. I don't care how old you are.
49. Being happy is the most efficient and cheap beauty secret. Plus, you'll live longer.
50. Always play Clue by candlelight when the power goes out. ALWAYS.
Posted by Brown Eyed Girl at 12:09 PM