Friday, March 28, 2014

My Ode to Psych


My relationship with Psych (the TV shows, not my major!) is like my relationship with oxygen or water or say fictional young adult book characters- completely and utterly vital to my existence. In 2006 I met this lovely duo (via my television of course) and instantly became addicted to their charm, wit, and friendship. They are probably the best friendship to ever be portrayed on TV, besides maybe Lucy & Ethel or any of the FRIENDS. They're wacky and crazy and HILARIOUS and they 100% understand and love each other. 

Shawn and Gus have been best friends since elementary school and are still going strong into their 30's. They see each other every day and even own their own business together. While they each play very different roles in their relationship, they accept who the other person is and love them for it. Shawn and Gus are the greatest!

But this show is full of amazing relationships. It's about friendship, first and foremost, about life and growing up and living your dream (of being a fake cop) and also love. It's basically the most awesome thing in the world. 

This week was the series finale and while I LOVED the way it all ended, it was so sad for me the entire time because I knew I wouldn't be going on any new adventures with them, and that was seriously HEART BREAKING. It was like watching the series finale of FRIENDS. It's like the end of an era!! And I've been trying all week to move on from my sadness and grief and remember all the good times we had together.  Sure, first I was in denial for weeks leading up to it. No, they're not leaving, they're just going on a...a really long break...a vacation, kind of...it's really nothing! I won't even notice their absence! And then the anger hit. I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING!!! I AM SO MAD AT EVERYTHING!!! THAT'S IT! I'M NOT WATCHING ANY MORE!! I'M GOING ON A STRIKE! WHO'S WITH ME!?! Yeah, that didn't last too long. I moved swiftly (I'm talking like 30 seconds or less here!) into bargaining. Please, please, please don't do this!! Please!! Take back a different show- here, take Vampire Diaries or freaking ANY (OR ALL!) REALITY TV SHOW YOU WANT! Just don't take Psych!! P-L-E-A-S-E!!!! I'm not gonna lie, that one lasted awhile. But then the depression set in. For the last couple episodes I wanted to be happy, and I was for small moments while watching it, but knowing what it was leading up to, it was always bittersweet. But mostly bitter... Nothing will ever be as good as this. I'm just going to stop watching tv altogether. I don't want to get out of my pj's or shower, I'll just sit inside all day. I probably won't even go outside ever again. I probably won't even laugh ever again. Finally, I'm glad to say I've made it to acceptance. Which is where this blog comes in. I want to remember all the good times, the great adventures, the banter and jokes and hilarious almost-pee-your-pants moments! And there's A LOT of them!! I'll re-watch the series over and over (I started last year and I'm currently on season 6!) and it will feel like they never left!

Here are the main reasons why I love Psych so much: It's some of the most witty and brilliant writing on TV, ever, the Pop Culture references from the 80's and 90's, the series long jokes, the chemistry between everyone but especially Shawn & Gus, ...actually, maybe it's better if I just show you.

First, meet Shawn, a *psychic* detective, 80's pop reference junkie, and an honorary ambassador of Paraguay. He has an irrational fear of Patrick Dempsey and is jealous of his hair. He can pass a lie detector test without telling the truth, has a screensaver of a T-Rex biting him, and thinks there are 7 Olympic rings. He has an IQ of 187 and passed the detective test at 15 years old. Not to mention his rington is Rump Shaker by Wreckx-N-Effect and if he was a super hero, he would be "The Catch" (i.e. dressed in a catchers outfit).
 Shawn's best moments: 








Meet Gus, he's technically a pharmaceutical rep, but he's mostly just the other half of Psych, and Shawn's best friend. His super power is his smelling ability (called the Super Snifer), he's lactose intolerant, and he loves jerk chicken. He's got a spotless credit report, drives a B Lou Berry, imitates Michael Jackson and was voted 'most likely to succeed' in high school. Not to mention he discovered a tyrannosaurus skull but Shawn took the credit. (of course) And if he was a superhero, he would be "Tap Man" (like tap dancing). 

Gus' finest moments:








Series Long Jokes:





 







The "This is my partner, --------" joke: 



Pop Culture References:










The Bickering




The Screaming:


The Dancing:





The "Psycic Ju Ju":


The "Spot the Pineapple" Series-long game:


The Fist-Bumping: 


The "Gus, don't be a ------" joke:




Going forward, I'll just remember how silly they were. 


In my mind, they continue to do what they've always done- goof off, be awesome, and solve crimes. 
Gus will continue to cry over everything.
 And food will still always be the first thing on their minds. 

And we wouldn't have it any other way. Shawn and Juliet will have little kids who grow up to become super hero detectives and Gus will marry a Jamaican women and have little Harry Potter loving Gus' and their children will be best friends and the cycle will keep going until the end of time. That's a pretty good Happily Ever After! 

Farewell my friends. Until we meet again. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment